Pages

Friday 13 June 2014

Meet Karigirwa, the pillar of APR women v-ball club

The women volleyball team is one of the most successful and well organized teams in the country. It has produced some of the biggest names like Denise Mutatsimpundu, Brigitte Mutakwampundu and Charlotte Nzayisenga among others.

However, we also have new kids on the block like APR’s Grace Karigirwa who previously featured for Ruhango volleyball club and Lycee de Nyanza (LDN).
As a child Karigirwa did not have any particular interest in sports until she joined secondary school. When she moved to Ruhango and Nyanza for secondary school in 2005, she picked interest in volleyball and has never turned back.

In 2008, she played for former league side Ruhango VC before featuring for her school team, Lycee de Nyanza in 2009 and 2010. “Back in the days, I wasn’t interested in sports but when the time came, I went for volleyball, which to me is the best sport,” she told Saturday Sport.

Future plans

“I’m still in love with volleyball, and I feel I still have a lot to accomplish before going for a different challenge. I am happy at APR and I’m even looking forward to more success as far as retaining the league title this year is concerned,” Karigirwa said when asked about his future plans.

“It would be a golden opportunity if I get a chance to play in a better championship; Kenya is my preference because it would really improve my game,” he added. On plans to retiring he said he is still too young and very ambitious to even start thinking of retiring. “All I think about now is how best I can help my team to achieve more success. I’ll start to think of a different challenge when I turn 30 but now,” she noted boldly

0 comments:

Post a Comment